Thursday, April 8, 2021

April Prompt: Abandonment

 Fear of Abandonment

The following poem imagines what is in my trashcan and lets those items stand as metaphors for the sense of loss and abandonment that led me to use alcohol as a “solution.” Notice that the poem ends with a wine glass.  I did not intend this image when I wrote the poem, which was before I went into recovery.  I realize now that I “knew” alcohol was hurting me even before I went into recovery. This is an example of a poem telling the writer something they didn’t know they knew. 


Taking Out the Trash


Gritty coffee grounds

Crushed and wet

Release morning’s breath


Grapefruit shell

Pink pungent taste

Small close compartments


Eggshell’s jagged edge

Embossed with shiny film

No longer home


Ragged edge of newspaper

Curled into itself

Forgotten admonitions


A half-smoked cigarette

Lipsticked cherry red

A moist pink tongue


Broken wine glass

Slender stem intact

Aftertaste of loss


Prompt:

1. Write about what is in your metaphorical trashcan, car, basement, attic or anywhere where there are unwanted things, or perhaps things you are holding onto that you know you should get rid of.  You can put people in there too!


2. Try to work with concrete images rather than "story" or "narrative." If you begin with a story, look for the images that appear in your story and "unhook" them.  See what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment